You are here

GSoC’ 16: Port Search Configuration module; coding week #10

Switching the labels.

Google Summer of Code 2016 is into its final lap. I have been porting the search configuration module to Drupal 8 as part of this program and I am into the last stage, fixing some of the issues reported and improving the module port I have been doing for the past two months.
Finally, I have set up my Drupal blog. I should have done it much more earlier. A quick advice to to those who are interested in creating a blog powered by Drupal and run it online, I made use of the openshift to host my blog. It gives the freedom to run maximum of three applications for free. Select your favorite Drupal theme and start blogging.
So, now lets come back to my project status. If you would like to have a glance at my past activities on this port , please refer these posts.
Last week I was mainly concentrating on fixing some of the issues reported in the module port. It was really a wonderful learning experience, creating new issues, getting reviewed the patches, updating the patches if required and finally the happiness of getting the patches committed into the Drupal core is a different feeling. Moreover, I could also get suggestions from other developers who are not directly part of my project which I find as the real blessing of being part of this wonderful community.

The module is now shaping up well and is moving ahead in the right pace. Last week, I had faced some issues with the twig and I was resolving it. The module is currently available for testing. I could work on some key aspects of the module in the past week. I worked on the namespace issues. Some of the functions were not working as intended due to the wrong usage of the PSR namespace. I could fix some of these issues. Basically, PSR namespaces helps to reuse certain standard functions of the Drupal API framework. They are accessed using the 'use' keyword. We can name the class locations using the namespace property.
For instance, if I want to use the Html escape function for converting special characters to HTML format,
use Drupal\Component\Utility\Html;
Now, $role_option s= array_map('Html::escape', user_role_names())
Hope you got the idea. Here I could have written the entire route/path of thee escape function. But through the usage of the namespace, I just need to define the route at the beginning and later on it can be used for further implementations n number of times.
The user_role_names() retrieved the names of the roles involved. This is an illustration of the usage of namespace. This is really an area to explore more. Please do read more on this, for better implementation of the Drupal concepts.

In the coming days, I would like to test the various units of the module ported, fix the issues if any and bring up a secure, user friendly search configuration module for Drupal.
Hope all the students are enjoying the process and exploring the Drupal concepts. Stay tuned for the future updates on this port process.

Add new comment

Filtered HTML

  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a> <em> <strong> <cite> <blockquote> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.